Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Thanks... We clipped a cm of our shephards tail off in the…

Hello Doc and Thanks... We...
Hello Doc and Thanks... We clipped a cm of our shephards tail off in the bedroom door yesterday.. he dripped bllod for about 30min, then stopped.. hard to bandage his tail with the hair and wag.. can i give pain reliever..(motrin, tyl).. i cleaned it as best i could w peroxide and will use neosporin today.. hard to wrap and immobilized, though.. please advise
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It sounds like you have taken care of the injury appropriately so far. I would not advise that you offer any over the counter medications for pain that you may have access to. Most are safe or very effective and can limit what your vet will be able to safely offer. That is a very difficult spot to bandage and so usually we just leave it unwrapped.

I would have your vet evaluate it when you can get him in next so they can make sure it is healing appropriately and that nothing else needs to be done. They can also decide at that time if antibiotics or pain medications are needed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.