Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is an 8 year old Brussels Griffon with watery

uncontrolled diarrhea. She is...
She is an 8 year old Brussels Griffon with watery uncontrolled diarrhea. She is drinking minimal water, refuses food. This is starting the 3rd day, no emergency vets in area, what can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Brussels griffon's name?
Customer: Cinnabun
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cinnabun?
Customer: She was fine until the onset of this, she is not one to eat unknown objects or foods as almost everything is hand fed.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is what to do:

Dont worry about the food- we dont want to feed till tomorrow.

Buy some Imodium and give 0.1 mg/kg by mouth three times a day.

If wont drink then try pedialyte or NO SALT chicken broth

Update me in two to three hours time

Okay?
Paul

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I will try that immediately, thank you.

Great.

I will look for your update.

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how i get paid :)

Standing by for your update

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Doc Paul,Just gave Cinn 2nd dose of immodium, she has had only one bout of diarrhea in last 3 hours which is a slight improvement, still listless. Do animals get the flu or what are we dealing with?
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Dr Paul,
I have given Cinn another dose, she isn’t having the explosive diarrhea, but still has a lot of leakage, will this subside in time?

Yes.

This should continue to improve

Update me later tonight

Paul

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Dr Paul,
Cinn is much better this morning and is showing signs of wanting to eat something so should I give her some boiled chicken or likewise bland food?

Great!

Boiled chicken or bland food are all good! :)

Keep me posted

Paul

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Dr Paul:
Cinn is doing better, ate well. Her stool is still runny and loose and Shevardnadze still has the infrequent accident when passing gas. Should I give her the immodium or wait it out.
Thanks, Alisa

Yes.

Continue with Imodium

Update me tonight

Paul

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thank you for the guidance you provided. We are in such an isolated area and with the Thanksgiving holidays you were a lifesaver.
Thanks again, Alisa

You are very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian