Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is diabetic. He receives two shots a day of 2CC. He…

Customer Question
My dog is diabetic...

My dog is diabetic. He receives two shots a day of 2CC. He is having bladder control problems. Do you think I need an insulin adjustment or is this much more serious? He does come for us when he has to go out. His last shot around 8 O'clock. He gets very thirsty. Last night he came and got me very few times. This morning he had an accident on the couch after he had been out. I may have made him come in too fast. He is twelve years old. He had drank but not to excessively.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Elmo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Elmo?

I think he had been diagnosed with diabetes late. He has a growth in his anal canal. The urination also happens when he goes down the stairs or jumps up on the couch. The growth needs a special surgeon. We haven't taken him there yet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: BestFriendsVet, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
BestFriendsVet
BestFriendsVet, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Vaono

Polyuria/polydypsia (PU/PD) is a sign that your pet is not regulated properly on insuslin

Also, weight loss

What you need to do is: You need to feed your pet in the morning, give the insulin at the regular time and dose, and then go into your vet to have a blood glucose test done.

You cannot do one of those glucose at-home strips; they will always come back showing sugar in the urine even if the pet is well-regulated on insulin

PU/PD most likely means that not enough insulin is being given. But do not increase it yourself. Go in 4 hrs. after the shot and see what the levels are.

The anal growth would not be related to the PU/PD

We were just there a few days ago. He said his blood sugar had lowered and he had gained weight. They are closed till Monday. Once they are regulated is there a way we can test him and see if he needs more insulin. I am diabetic but don't take insulin. For the rest of the weekend we should keep the dosage and take him out more frequently, even when he doesn't request it. His urination in the house seems involuntary. Like he doesn't know its is coming.

Yes. What you need to do is have a blood glucose curve done. This is where you leave him in the hospital for a day and they test to see what the levels are every few hours. There is something called a Symogyi swing ( or post hypoglycemic hyperglycemia) and the vet needs to tell if this is happening. When this happens, it is a rebounding high blood sugar that is a response to low blood sugar. When managing the blood glucose level with insulin injections, this effect is counter-intuitive to insulin users who experience high blood sugar in the morning as a result of an overabundance of insulin at night.

There are also new therapeutics to treat diabetes in pets besides insulin, but their effects are still very very variable and the medications are so very expensive. So we stick with insulin in dogs, mainly.

However, the type of insulin may need to be changed after the results of the glucose curve have been reviewed, so be prepared for this. Also make sure you are rolling the bottle to mix it; do not shake insulin.

yes, keep him on the same dose throughout the weekend and call the vet vet first thing Monday morning. They may actually be open today.

if I have answered all your questions and you are happy with my answers, please do me a favor and rate me :)

Make sure you provide plenty of water because he'll need it from urinating so much