Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is wheezing and coughing and has a runny nose,what…

Customer Question
My dog is wheezing...

My dog is wheezing and coughing and has a runny nose,what can i do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

LADY, the is old,16 or more.she is a shusu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about LADY?

She has a catrac on eye,other then that she is healthy,happy,runs around.she was given to me about ten yrs ago because its other mother had cancer and could not care for her.she is my baby

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know what may be causing these symptoms in your sweet Lady. Because of her age, she may have picked up an Upper Respiratory Infection because her immune system is not as competent and this would be treated with antibiotics only available from your vet. For now, to give Lady relief, give her Robitussin DM at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs to decrease the congestion. This is available over the counter at the pharmacy. If this does not help, your vet will have to run diagnostics since heart disease can cause coughing and distress which will require other medications.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you,Have a good day.l will try that.

Excellent...just do the best you can for your sweet Lady...good ;luck!!