Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 pound dog managed to get on the table after dinner was…

Customer Question
My 7 pound dog...

My 7 pound dog managed to get on the table after dinner was cleared except for butter and he ate about 1/2 a stick. I have been watching him all night and he just threw a lot of it up but is acting normal. Sleepy but it’s night time. We don’t have an emergency vet open yet. Should I take him to the vet once they open? Or keep watching him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milos?

I don’t think so He is drinking water

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I am a veterinarian trained in small animal routine and emergency medicine, and will do my best to help you and Milo. Can I get just a little more information to understand the situation? What breed of dog is Milo? Approximately how much does he weigh? Is he on any medications or does he have any illness before tonight? Finally, can you describe what his vomit looked like - liquid, color, etc? With that information I should be able to help you today.

No medication no illnesses before tonight.
He is a Prague Ratter 5 years old and about 7 pounds
His commit looked like melted butter with some dog food in it
Vomit not commit

Ok, thank you for the additional information. For his weight he has eaten quite a bit of butter! He definitely has an upset stomach from all of the fat in it, and hopefully with a day or two of rest his stomach will start to feel better. This could lead to a bigger problem, such as pancreatitis, and that can become serious, so it will be important for you to speak with your regular veterinarian when they are open to give them an update. In the meantime, you will want to rest his GI tract by not giving him any food or treats at all. If he is still vomiting, you can withhold water for 2 hours and then give him a very small amount so he doesn't overload the stomach again. If he drinks it and keeps it down, offer him small amounts every hour. With some luck, his stomach will feel better in 12-24 hours and he can start on some bland diet - your regular veterinarian can also help decide if he needs some anti-nausea medications as well. Keep him rested for now and again, absolutely no treats or food until he is back to normal. Good luck!

It is my goal, and all of us here at Just Answer, to provide excellent, quality service. If you feel we have not been able to provide this, please reply back and I will be happy to address additional concerns. Thank you for contacting us, and have a wonderful day.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gwen