Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Salkin, My 4 year old malamute/husky has begun to have a…

Customer Question
Hello Dr Salkin,My 4 year...
Hello Dr Salkin,My 4 year old malamute/husky has begun to have a sunken face. It’s subtle, but noticeable. Around the cheek and under his eyes.All his blood levels are are within normal.His only chronic health issues are bronchial pneumonic eosinophilia. He’s had that since he was a puppy. He takes an aero dawg inhaler of fluticasone. And has no symptoms.The sunken face makes us scared of cancers etc.What is the next step in diagnosing the issue?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. It appears that Dr Salkin is not currently online. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

While it is true that certain brain or neurological tumors can lead to muscle atrophy, there are other conditions that can as well. The condition known as Masticatory Myositis is one that can present with similar symptoms. It is an immune mediated disorder where antibodies are directed at them muscles of the face. The diagnosis is made with a very specialized blood test that looks for the presence of the antibodies in the blood. Here is a link with more information about this disorder. LINK HERE

If cancer is suspected, the next diagnostic test would be an MRI of the head.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Hi Ryan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz