Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year old Italian greyhound all,of a sudden stopped…

Customer Question
Hi there, my 12...

Hi there, my 12 year old Italian greyhound all,of a sudden stopped eating and she is very lethargic. She’s does drink water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She has cushing’ s deasease and had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove 3 large lipomas. She was doing really well, a few a days ago. In fact she was back to her old self when she was much younger. She is also being treated for Cushing’s deasease. She had a full wellness check up three months ago, and all was normal...

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Lucy isn't feeling well.

1. How long has she been treated for Cushing's disease?
  2. What medication is she taking?
  3. When is the last time she had bloodwork to make sure her medication to control her Cushing's disease is being appropriately dosed?

Dogs with Cushing's disease usually eat and drink very well.

It may be completely unrelated to her not eating now, but a sudden change in appetite with a Cushing's patient always makes me want to recheck her cortisol levels and make sure we aren't overdosing her.

Of course because she is an older girl we also need to consider other things like kidney and liver disease, or a mass in her abdomen or an infection.

I know that her bloodwork was normal 3 months ago, but 3 months is a long time in an older dog's lifespan.

Ideally she would see her veterinarian as soon as possible for an exam and some bloodwork.

At home tonight to try and decrease acid production in her stomach and hopefully improve her appetite you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. Either one can be given as needed.

To further decrease nausea and try to entice her to eat you can feed her a bland diet for the next few days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.

Then have her rechecked as soon as possible.

If she starts actively vomiting, has a tense painful abdomen, gets even more lethargic or has pale/white gums she should be seen on an emergency basis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian