Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 pound dog swallowed a 25mg topamax pill. 4 years old.

my 15 pound dog swallowed...
my 15 pound dog swallowed a 25mg topamax pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: what? why?>
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no he may have early kidney disease but very early
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, this drug is in fact sometimes prescribed for dogs so is not toxic to them as such, and a usual dose rate would be up to 5 mg per pound of bodyweight given orally twice a day. The top dose for your dog would therefor be 75 mg so clearly the 25 mg he took was well within a published dose rate so no adverse side effects would normally be expected. Consequently there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog, he should be just fine. This incident should not affect his early kidney disease by the way.

2. You can confirm the above dose rates and read more on how this drug is used in dogs via this link : LINK

But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian