Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Great Dane got out of his cage while I was gone. He went…

Customer Question
My Great Dane got...

My Great Dane got out of his cage while I was gone. He went all around the house and got into everything. He is a bit more than one year old. Now, several hours later, he has diarreah and is pooping blood. I am worried that he may have eaten a piece of an aluminum can. Do I need to bring him to a veternerian immediately?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, if you believe he ate a piece of an aluminum can and you are seeing blood in the feces I would strongly recommend having him checked by the nearest ER vet for x-rays. If this is related to the can and it perforates the intestines the outcome is likely fatal; for this reason, it is best to not wait.

Can the bloody diarrhea be caused by something else? Yes. But, given how serious is a piece of can in the gastrointestinal tract it is best to err on the side of caution and have him checked. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter