Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was just on and my phone died. I was messaging about gizmo…

Customer Question
I was just on...

I was just on and my phone died

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

I was messaging about gizmo and his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

My dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

He was in a fight with another dog and his eye is all full of puss and looks blue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Gizmo 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gizmo

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Gizmo.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

The blue color that you're seeing may be secondary to edema in the cornea which is often seen secondary to inflammation in the eye. Secondary infection can also be seen after injuries of this sort as well. If Gizmo is keeping his eye closed or squinting, then his cornea may have been scratched. Even the smallest scratch can be very painful which is usually denoted by squinting or keeping the eye closed ..either partially or completely.

If he has a corneal scratch, then he will need topical antibiotics as well as topical pain drugs which your vet will have to dispense.

It's also possible that the eye is really irritated because of the dog fight. If he has only slightly irritated the eye, you may be able to treat him at home.

Without applying a special stain, we can't know for sure which might be the problem.

The following would be my suggestions and won't cause harm regardless of what might be going on:

1. You can gentl yrinse the eye with over the counter saline solution which should be available at most human pharmacies. You don't want to use the contact lens solution, though.
2. You can apply a warm wash cloth or warm tea bag to the eye/area for about 5-10 minutes which may provide relief. This can be repeated 2-3 times a day if you'd like.
3. If he is not currently taking any steroids or nsaid medication nor vomiting, you can give Aspirin at a dose of 5-10 mgs per pound twice a day. This drug should be given with food to avoid stomach upset. Since this drug has anti-inflammatory as well as anti-pain properties, it may help regardless of the underlying cause.
4. Most importantly, you want to prevent him from rubbing the eye which might cause more damage. If he is trying to do this or if you suspect he might when he's not with you, then you may need to purchase a cone from a pet store for him to wear.

Unfortunately, there are no over the counter antibiotic ophthalmic drugs that you will be able to purchase for him; these types of drugs are all prescription and would have to be dispensed by your vet.

If his eye worsens in any way and/or there's no improvement by tomorrow, then a visit with your vet may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb