Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua has diabetes. My other chihuahua was sick with…

Customer Question
My chihuahua has diabetes...

My chihuahua has diabetes. My other chihuahua was sick with flu like symptoms a few days and got better. the chihuahua with diabetes has picked up the same symptons and would not eat yesterday and I could not give insulin. Today she is throwing up blood. everything is closed. should i drive to a big city where a vet might be open or wait for mine till tomorrow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your Chihuahua eat anything unusual?

No, she wont eat at all. she is very listless, i am very worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Chihuahua?

She has a heart murmur and diabetes. I give her humulin N twice a day. she did not get any yesterday because it needs to be given when she eats and i could not get her to eat anything

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry your little one is ill on this holiday. Given her size and medical history I would strongly urge the drive the er and not wait a 12-18 hour period for your veterinarian to open tomorrow. Vomiting blood indicates a gi ulcer which can progress to a perforation of the stomach, especially with her history and I would hate for this to progress to life threatening issues if not handled swiftly

My thoughts are with you both. I have two Chi's and know how precious they can be to us!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, you are in my thoughts

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your Chi to see how she was feeling today and if you were able to get her to the veterinary er? I would love an update when you are able

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian