Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was bitten in the dog run and has a puncture wound.

Customer Question
Hello. My dog...

Hello. My dog was bitten in the dog run and has a puncture wound. It's not bad. We will wash and use neosporin. Should we give an oral antibiotic? I am a physician so can prescribe

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

11. Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

No no thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry this happened. Do you know what bit Lola?
I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
the best thing that you can do is flush the wound regularly. I like the hibiclens chlorhexidine solution the best. You can use a syringe without the needle to really flush around and within the wound. I would also recommend Neosporin twice daily. You have to make sure that she is not licking at the wound.
As far as antibiotics, I can't tell you to use your antibiotics for your pet. She may be just fine without anything if it is a small lesion. Obviously monitor for oozing, swelling, odor etc. We routinely use cephalexin twice daily for 10 days for skin infections and it may be needed if it is looking infected. If she is a 50 pound dog she would get 500 mg twice daily... 25 pound dog-250 mg twice daily... Just to give you an idea. I think that the flushing and topical antibiotic is a good place to start though.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week.
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
Any questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian