Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs bark has changed. Sounds hoarse. But his demeanor is…

Customer Question
My dogs bark has...

My dogs bark has changed. Sounds hoarse. But his demeanor is now changing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

We have relative dogs here today and usually he barks and plays constantly..... today he was staying at the side constantly and when I offered him to go in his crate, he went in immediately - this is very unusual for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Jax and he is 2 3/4 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jax?

Just the hoarseness...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

When did the change in his bark begin?

What breed is he?

Has he been boarded or at any other location recently where he may have been barking non-stop?

One of the abive
None of the above

Please re-read the questions above. Many of them ask for specific statements where a yes/no answer will not suffice.

No change in diet
No human food
Nothing by torn
Change happened a few weeks ago
He is a rescue, part jack Russell , part maybe red tick coon hound
He was boarded for s period of time, but he barks as much ch there as he does at home! He barks a lot! But no different amount over the last 2 + years

When was he boarded?

Oct 13 - Nov 5

It's possible this could have contributed but we would typically see this as a concern immediately upon returning home. No coughing, correct?

No coughing. He has started lightly snoring also

Something to mention here is that many animals experience changes in the volume and tone of their bark (or meow) when they are experiencing thyroid problems. If this continues to be an issue for Jax, I would recommend that you have him examined and treated by your vet and discuss bloodwork to check his thyroid. Other potentials which might affect the sound of his bark could be the changing in the seasons where he might be producing more mucous in his airways (which may contribute to the snoring) or even seasonal allergies which often causes lethargy, scratching, running eyes or nose, licking of feet, etc. I am honestly more concerned about his lethargic behavior than the change in his bark. If he continues to feel unwell and experiences any other signs like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, refusal to eat or drink, etc. over the holiday or the associated weekend, please use this thread to reach back out to be at no additional charge. There may be more that's a factor here and he's simply not yet developed symptoms enough for us to know he's ill.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
Hi Judi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Jax doing today?