Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a scented candle mainstain I think. Her name is…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a scented candle mainstain I think

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is 11 months old a corgi at about 22 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?

I think that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How large was this candle?

How long ago was it consumed?

Did she consumed any glass or foil with it, as well?

4-6 inch candle around 5:30 a.m. this morning there was no glass or foil eaten it

This may cause a GI upset, but you may see no symptoms at all. Her stool may take an odd appearance as she passes the wax. If she consumed the wick there is risk of blockage so it will be important to switch her to a bland, fibrous diet for a few days to help push the candle through.

To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Monitor closely for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, avoidance of food or water, etc. If any of these or other symptoms arise, you'll need to have your vet evaluate her.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Lily doing today? Did you see any symptoms from the candle ingestion?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse