Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is 3 months. He was just put on an antibiotic for…

Customer Question
My puppy is 3...

My puppy is 3 months. He was just put on an antibiotic for his intestines. But I gave him his second dose last night and he began vomiting. What should I do? He was also having diarrhea. But we were at the vet yesterday. No issues.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. The vet put him on a puppy food for digestive issues.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Brantley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brantley?

He also 2 Drontal Plus K9 small. The antibiotic was metronidazole 250 mg. Half pill every 12 hours

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Brantley.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

That is his checkup info from the vet yesterday.

While most dogs can tolerate Metronidazole quite well with no side effects, a few patients will experience problems with the drugs: vomiting is one of the side effects listed. So, it's quite possible that Brantley is having a drug reaction. If that's the case, then he may benefit from either

otc Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day OR

Prilosec (Omeprazole) at a dose of 1/2 mg per pound of body weight once a day OR

Zantac (ranitidine) at a dose of 1 mg per pound twice a day.

Give one of the above medications about 30 minutes prior to when the Metronidazole is scheduled to be administered and I'd select one that is to be given twice a day, if possible.

If he continues to vomit, then more may be going on but I'd try the above first if he's otherwise acting fine.

I suppose the Drontal Plus might have caused some transient nausea but it should be fairly short-lived if this drug were the problem.

I hope this helps, Deb

even though he is only 3 months he is okay to take those medications listed ? When can I start giving him food? He is very thirsty. Also. What is the best way to give him the medicine ?

I dispense Metronidazole all the time to my younger patients so his age wouldn't preclude its use.

I assume he has diarrhea or loose stools and if that's the case, then I don't fast these patients (like I do if they're vomiting). He can be fed smaller meals throughout the day starting now. I see I/D listed on your receipt and this is all that I'd feed him.

Metronidazole has a very bitter taste unless it's been compounded. Therefore, you can't mix it with food or crush it since it will cause him to froth and foam. You'll have to put it right down his throat if at all possible.

Deb

Would his age affect him taking Pepcid etc?
Also, he threw up 7 Times since last night around 8pm. But the last time he threw up was around 1 AM.

Would his age affect him taking Pepcid etc? No, it won't.

Since he's that nauseous, then I might fast him for 8 hours or so; just give everything a chance to settle down...but I'd give the Pepcid AC now. I would wait before restarting the Metronidazole.

Also only let him drink small amounts of water at one time even though he may be thirsty.

If he's a small dog, then I worry about low blood sugar if they're vomiting or if we're withholding food. Therefore, I'd offer him a small amount of honey or pancake syrup; if he won't eat it, then rub it on his gums every several hours.

If he continues to vomit, then there may be more going on than just a drug reaction. Deb

He’s a lab puppy. Weighs 17.6 pounds. Ive been giving him small amounts of water since 6 AM. He has kept it all down. Pee is very very yellow. When would I be safe to try a little bit of food?

That's great that he's not vomiting the water that you're giving him. And, I'd be a little less worried about hypoglycemia since he's not < 10 pounds.

I don't know exactly what time it is there since we may be in different time zones (it's a little after 10 AM here) so I don't know how many hours have passed since he last vomited. But, the following is what I'd suggest:

1. Give him the pepcid ac now (if you have any). His dose would be 5 mg or 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet.

2. If he hasn't vomited for at least 4-5 hours, then offer him a very small amount of the I/D in 30 minutes but only a small amount.

3. If he keeps it down, then offer him more food in another hour or so.

I might not give him any metronidazole today but contact your vet tomorrow and see if they want you to continue this medication. Deb

I don't typically recommend products like this for nauseous dogs although it can be given to them. Dosage amounts are somewhat empiric but I typically suggest about 1/4th of what the label says a human should take.

If this is all you have, then I'd give one dose and see how he does. Deb

I found peptobismao. How much should I give him?

Pepto Bismol contains salicylates which is the active ingredient in Aspirin and may further upset his stomach; I wouldn't advise that you give him this medication.

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian