Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dr. Salkin, I’m back again; same dog, different problem. Our…

Dr. Salkin,I’m back again; same...
Dr. Salkin,I’m back again; same dog, different problem. Our miniature schnauzer Daisy all of the sudden started having to urinate frequently to the point where she was forcing her self to go and nothing was coming out. Completely unlike her. A little a while ago my wife blotted the area outside were she went (it’s a artificial turf areas for the 2 dogs) and found blood clots. She’s eating and acting fine except for this.Problem is she is currently be treated for uveitis (which you helped us with) and is on 100M Doxycycline Hyclate for 30 days.My wife gave her some melatonin the past two nights because she was restless.I am wondering if she’s on the antibiotics can this be just a bladder infection.Should we bring her to emergency or can this wait until tomorrow.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi again...Daisy really needs to get a job...

It sounds as if she's is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine...and she's alsoe hematuric - blood in the urine. A bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) is the most common cause of stanguria in a middle aged female dog. Less commonly, uroliths (stones) or neoplasia (transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra) are found. Daisy's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of herbladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the presence of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - any of which suggest a UTI. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of therapy is completed in order to ensure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, her vet will suggest culturing the urine to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe. The infection is resistant to doxycycline or sterile inflammation from stones or neoplasia is present. You can wait until tomorrow to have her treated unless she can't pass urine at all which would indicate obstruction in the urethra. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to get on a plane shortly.

Thanks. That’s great so we’ll get her to the vet tomorrow.Do we need to do anything in the meantime to keep her more comfortable until tomorrow (certain foods or liquids)?
Cranberry juice ???lolThat’s the last question. Have a safe flight and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Nothing special but encouraging intake of tasty fluids such as milk, cream, broths, or bouillons can dilute the urine of noxious substances. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.
Happy thankgiving to you and Daisy, too. I'll be back online on Monday if you need me. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Thanks Dr. Salkin. First allow me to tell you how great of a professonial resource you have been for us and the chicken broth suggestion was a life saver!!!!This is the 3rd time we’ve been able to have you aid us after hours with Daisy and I can’t thank you enough.As for Daisy we had her at the Vet on Friday where they took a sterile urine sample and also, without our knowledge, took an ultra sound free of charge.It seems her issues are related to crystals in her bladder that she was in the process of passing.He encouraged us to get her drink more often as he thinks that may help.Again please allow me to thank you for all of your help.Daisy said thank you as well.

It's my pleasure. Thank you for the good update. Daisy is now in my customer photo folder!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian