Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I need to know how to terminate or prevent pregnancy in my…

Customer Question
I need to know how...
I need to know how to terminate or prevent pregnancy in my small dog she has had her pelvic crushed and was told that she should never have puppies again she got stuck with a small dog I do not want to take a chance on losing my dog how do I terminate this pregnancy how do I stop it it's only been 10 minutes ago that it happened but I need to know something but just in case there's a time limit
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear that Keidus may be pregnant.

There are prescription medications, such as cabergoline, you can get from a veterinarian, that will terminate pregnancies. These drugs are not 100% effective, and can have side effects.

The safest and most effective way to terminate the pregnancy would be to have her spayed. That would terminate this pregnancy, and prevent future pregnancies. It will also prevent her ever getting a pyometra, a life threatening uterine infection, that would require an emergency hysterectomy.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer. Happy Thanksgiving!

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I did not hear from you. How is Keidus doing?

Was this helpful; can I answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website I am assisting you!