Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a soft bloated African Clawed Frog and have heard a…

Customer Question
I have a soft...

I have a soft bloated African Clawed Frog and have heard a salt bath is the way to go to help remove fluid and reduce bloat. Does that sound correct?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the African claw frog?

He's been unable to swim upright over the past week or so and has now ballooned quite a bit with what looks like fluid. I'm concerned he won't last much longer without the correct treatment.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the African claw frog seem to hurt?

He's bloated around the stomach area

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the African claw frog?

Hasn't been eating for a week or so maybe slightly longer

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I do not recommend salt baths for ACFs due to their high potentially for causing death. I would not go this route and, instead, look for a veterinarian who can assist you with your companion. Often we see the cause of bloat related to bacterial infection, fungal infection, organ failure and so forth. Aggressive and prompt treatment offers the best chance at successful recovery, but many times these conditions are fatal.

If you'd like my help finding a vet that can assist you, I need your state of residence.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion today?