Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Heavy breathing dry nose. What can be the cause. He is

Customer Question
Heavy breathing dry nose ...

Heavy breathing dry nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

What can be the cause

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He is breathing heavy ears are warmer then usuall

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Haze 8 years breed red nose pitbull

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

98 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Has a history of eat infection really delicate ears

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Still breathing heavy

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

It's not allowing me to send

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

His stomache is swollen

Without being able to see what you're seeing, along with the swollen stomach and heavy breathing, I think your best bet is going to be seeing a vet for an evaluation. Do you need help locating one in your area?

I brought him to the er last night he had fluid in his stomache and his chest around his organs his has a tumor infront of his heart that is putting pressure on it
I don't know whether to do a ct scan they did a whole bunch of test rounding out to 3500 for the last 12 hours he's been here
I don't want him to suffer but I don't know if I should have him evaluated with a ct scan
I would like a second opinion on what to do

I would discuss with your vet what the chances of survival are given the symptoms. Often with fluid in the abdomen and chest, dogs are in congestive heart failure. If this is the case for your companion, the prognosis is not good and there is a strong possibility that even the most aggressive care will only buy him a few days to a few weeks of life. Something else your vet will need to determine is if the mass is operable (many times they are not) and if it would give him any quality of life to have it removed. Often, when evaluating where to go from here, a CT scan can be very useful. If money is no object, I'd move forward with the CT scan. Otherwise, I would discuss what your treatment options are with your vet. If few or no treatment options exist, they're only going to be doing the CT scan to give you confirmation that this is likely a life-threatening condition. From there, they will either recommend euthanasia or options on how to give him the best life from this point forward (which, again, may be very short term). My impression of the information you've shared, without having the record in front of me, is that your companion is very ill and euthanasia is likely going to be discussed for the very near future. If euthanasia is going to be recommended either way, the info from the CT scan will likely not change the outcome.

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago

Checking in on you and Haze today. How are you both doing?

I had to put him to sleep his cancer was so advance it was already in his heart they couldn't save him

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My greatest condolences.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse