Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old male shelty/spaniel mix had acl surgery 3

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old male shelty/spaniel mix had acl surgery 3 months ago. Since then, he will often hold his urine for 12+ hours eventhough I take him out every 3-4 hours and any time he asks to go out, day or night. Urine test was normal, but I am concerned as this not normal behavior for him. He is drinking plenty of water. My vet is unconcerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

I received an email that there was a response to my ? this morning, but I have not been able to access the response despite emails to 2 different customer service reps.
NO thank you.

The response would be on this page. You received notification because I responded asking how your companion was since you had not heard from us in 8 hours. I responded this morning when I signed on and saw your question. I can help you now, if you'd like.

Now I keep getting a pop-up wanting me to request a live phone call. I am not interested. I'd just like the response I have already paid for.
What is your response to his abnormal urinating?

The website is offering a call to make our communication easier. I cannot offer a call at this time. The website does this without the Experts knowledge, we have no control over this.

Have you noticed any abnormalities in his urine?

Is he on any medication at this time including supplements?

He takes 35 mg ranitidine twice a day and 1/2 gm sucralfate at bedtime for acid reflux. He has a grain allergy and only eats grain-free dry dog food.
No, I haven't seen any abnormality in his urine.

You might ask your vet to try a few days of NSAID medication for him to see if this helps. At 7 years of age, the possibility of arthritis or tenderness in the knee where he had the ACL repaired exists. We do see many dogs hold their bowels until they absolutely must go when it's uncomfortable to get in to position to use the bathroom. Typically with the addition of NSAIDs/pain meds and a joint supplement, these pets go back to using the bathroom more frequently since they are more comfortable. Your vet may wish to take x-rays of the back, hips and lower limbs if this concern persists simply to rule out arthritis development and to ascertain why he might be uncomfortable. As far as joint supplementation, my favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. They're worthwhile to add since he's entering his senior years and also recently had the ACL surgery.

If he's on no other medications and you'd like to try something at home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Won't aspirin or NSAIDS increase his trouble with acid reflux? I have had a stomach ulcer and cannot take either. Also, he doesn't seem to be in pain or uncomfortable urinating. He will often stand on his bad leg to raise his other leg to urinate. He is not having any trouble with bowel movements. I walk him 3 times a day for 15 min each after doing gentle pt exercises and he is no longer hopping on 3 legs, so I don't think he's in pain from the surgery.

Here's the entirity of the message I received:

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that I can think of.

If you mentioned acid reflux, it certainly did not come through on my end.

Dogs don't show symptoms in the same manner that people do. We often have to determine why they are acting weird by looking at their symptoms. This isn't necessarily a problem with pain urinating but it could be discomfort with the joints. Discomfort does not mean that dogs will show pain, either. Many dogs do not actually show signs of pain until they've reached a point of being unable to handle standing, walking, etc. So, looking for those symptoms may be a moot point.

Also, the joint supplement recommend contains glucosamine which can help in more than one area. Not only can it help with aging or ailing joints but it can also help with bladder concerns. If this were to be a bladder concern, the glucosamine would be likely to help sustain the bladder wall integrity and also help with any inflammation present.

This experience has been very negative. I am extremely disappointed with the difficulty of using this site and the answers that have not addressed the situation as I have described it. How am I at fault for your not receiving the info I have sent? What a waste of time, money and cause of additional stress!

I'll contact customer service for you. They'll be able to help from here. Good luck.