Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took over the care of my boyfriend's elderly dog. He seems…

Customer Question
I took over the...

I took over the care of my boyfriend's elderly dog. He seems to have some neurological issues with his hind end - some weakness with his back legs. In the last couple days, he has started to circle to the right, and he has become weaker in his hind end and is falling down and then its hard for him to get up. His circles are starting to get tighter, and then he falls more often. He has not been pooping much, and is pacing and pacing - maybe because he is uncomfortable from being constipated. His appetite is still good, but I think he is deteriorating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your boyfriend's dog. What is the dog's name?

Rudy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rudy?

My vet thinks he might have an autoimmune disease because he has ulcers on his lips, itchy skin, and symmetrical ulcers on the bottom of his tongue. His blood work came back find. He caught a cold, so just finished with Clavamox and we were waiting a few days before putting him on Prednisone. He is on Niacinamide and Doxycycline, but we didn't get to start the Pred yet. He just won't stop pacing round and round my room! He is definitely acting stressed. The other night he did this and in the morning he seemed better because he had pooped on a towel on the floor. But it has been a couple days since his last poop. Just pacing, and falling, and going in circles. I also have him on some Tramadol because if his painful ulcers.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian