Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 month old female dog was spayed and when I went to…

Customer Question
My 10 month old...

My 10 month old female dog was spayed and when I went to pick her up, she was foaming out of her mouth. they told me she was fine and told me to take her home. she could not eat and all her food came back up. she was later diagnosed as having a stricture. I was told that it was from the acids from her stomach during the spaying procedure that caused it. how could this happen and what could have been done different to prevent this? Thanks, Melissa

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Paisley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paisley?

She was perfectly healthy when she went in to be spayed. The Vet that sees her, did not do the procedure. It was done at a place that only does spays that offered a discount coupon. She is now going to another Vet Hospital and having the balloon treatments to open the stricture

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I would be happy to help you!

Where was the stricture specifically?

Paul

In her esophagus is all I know. They said the scar tissue closed it up to the point that she could not get any food down to her stomach. She weighed 8-pounds when she had her spayed, and lost down to 5 1/2 pounds in 3-weeks. She has had 4-balloon treatments so far and still has to go back for more. The doctor said it was expanded this last time to 12mm and she hopes to get it to at least14mm. The place that done the spayed was rued to me when I called them the next day and told me that she probably had a cold and prescribed some medicine for that. They did not ask to see her and showed no concern. They knew a few days later that I had taken her back to my regular Vet, and they would not even call us back.
I went back and checked her medical records and saw that they placed a scope into her esophagus and found that she has stricture not far behind her upper esophageal sphincter. The high up location of this stricture explains why Paisley was choking at home.
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Thanks for the update!!

So she must have had some acid reflux during the anesthesia

Paul

this is what we are told. We have been told that they could have and should have taken measures to prevent the acid from coming up into her esophagus. We just need to know what procedures should have been followed that would have prevented this from happening. The Vet that I take my animals to on a regular basis (They did not do this spayed) has 3-Vets in their office and they say they have never experienced this when they spayed a dog. Thanks, Melissa

Hi again

Not ignoring you.

Your question disappeared from my list and I had to go and find it.

This is likely acid reflux that caused the irritation and stricture.

I am checking the statistics now on what percent of animals and people experience this while under anesthesia

Paul

Today made the 5th trip to a animal clinic 2-hours away, where we have been taking her for the balloon treatment to open up her esophagus so she can eat. This is more than just a simple case of acid reflux. This acid remained in her esophagus for an extended amount of time and done serious damage to her esophagus in the 2-hours that she was at the spayed clinic. Her esophagus has now been stretched to 11mm. It was almost closed completely when we took her for the 1st balloon treatment. Do you know how large the esophagus opening should be on a 8 pound dog? I myself, have acid reflux, but it has not closed up my esophagus and it sure did not happen in 2-hours. Thanks, Melissa
We have been told by some people that the animal's body is suppose to be positioned during this procedure to keep the acid from coming up into the esophagus and some have said that they suction the dog to prevent this type of damage. This is what I am trying to find out from you, if any of this is the procedure that would have prevented this terrible mess. We have presently spent 7200.00 on medical bills so far. Thanks, Melissa
just wanted to make sure I haven't missed your emailed response to my question. thanks, Melissa
Have not heard back from you ?????????????