Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just read about the combatroach killing bait, that it is…

Customer Question
I just read about...

I just read about the combatroach killing bait, that it is non-toxic to dogs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Yes the black plastic roach trap, i only recovered about 1/2 the plastic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is on seizure medication

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question, type things up and then I will get back to you.

Hi??

Busy typing out your answer now, please stand by for a few minutes ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

As you say thankfully there is no problem with the contents of the Combat Roach Traps these are pretty non toxic to dogs, for the dog to also fragment and swallow portions of the plastic housing is also a fairly common event, but most dogs will get away with this in my experience, but there are some things you can do in this sort of situation and some considerations to be aware of. The fact your dog is on seizure medication should not be a problem by the way.

1. Do not try to make your dog sick to recover any of the plastic housing as sharp objects like this could cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

2. Feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato now in the hope that this will form round and cushion the the plastic fragments of the housing as they passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be very effective

3. However be aware that though unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here. So monitor your dogs for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if any such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that a fragment of plastic could penetrate the intestinal tract which would be a very serious situation.

But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Debra,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the combat roach trap ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

She seems okay. she ate, moved her bowels. I followed your advise and gave her bread.

Good, that sounds very encouraging ...

Thanks for the update.

Dr Scott