Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has thrown up 4 times in the last 6 hours. Her normal…

Customer Question
My dog has thrown...

My dog has thrown up 4 times in the last 6 hours

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Her normal dog food today but I do recall last night I did drop some spicy peanuts and she my have eaten a couple

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bella and she’s 1 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

Oh she went to the Veterinarian for her secound treatment of heartwarms

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Bella is vomiting. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- Breed?

3- Is she lethargic?

4- What is the vomit?

5- Any other symptoms?

60 pounds
Mix husky and German Sheppard
?
The first 3 was food the 4th one was watery
No

Lethargy means without energy.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

She is still pretty energetic it hasn’t slowed her down

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. I doubt this is related to a couple of peanuts she ate last night. In any case of vomiting, the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1.5 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she becomes lethargic, continues to vomit when fasting, pale gums, abdominal swelling, etc. I would have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter