Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old lab. About 5 months ago he had a mild…

Customer Question
Hi there, so I...

Hi there, so I have a 2 year old lab. About 5 months ago he had a mild seizure. So we monitored him and did not have another seizure until about a week ago. After that seizure we consultants

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

We went to a vet, and she told us to continue monitor him that there was no need for medicine yet, the thing that concerned us was him began vomiting the next day after that seizure... we gave him some anti acid meds and that seemed to help his stomach after a couple days, another week went by and he had another seizure so vet prescribed seizure meds, but again he began vomiting a day after

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

We have started phenobarbital but still having issues vomiting sporadically, also he has become a lot more agigitated as of late...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
The vomiting is becoming an issue, couple days he is great and fine, next 2 days he is vomiting all the time
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has your vet performed any bloodwork thus far?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Blood work all came back good, has not digested any human food, toys or trash...

It's not uncommon when dogs have seizures for them to go through what we call a "post-ictal phase". These are symptoms we see after a dog has had a seizure that are characteristic, tell-tale signs specific to the dog. For your companion, this may be vomiting after a seizure has occurred. Perhaps the best way to determine if this is the case is to begin logging the date and time of all seizures that you witness. If you see vomiting the day following, log this as well. You can take a few preventive steps to keep a GI upset from happening the day following but if the symptoms persist keeping Cerenia on hand (a prescription from you vet) may be needed. Hopefully with the addition of the anti-seizure medication, you will see fewer and fewer seizure and, thus, less vomiting following.

As far as prevention, for 24-48 hours following a seizure you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

You can follow this up with a bland diet, as well, if the famotidine alone does not help. If neither of these steps help, talk to your vet about replacing the above mentioned famotidine with cerenia tablets, which work for a full 24 hours. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?