Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is drooling shaking and has watery squirting feces. Mojo…

Customer Question
He is drooling shaking...

He is drooling shaking and has watery squirting feces

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Mojo He is thirteen

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mojo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mojo?

None that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/23/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup Mojo. He sounds very sick.

His shaking and drooling likely indicate severe nausea and abdominal pain that often come along with severe, watery diarrhea.

Diarrhea and nausea can be caused by a primary viral, bacterial or protozoan infection, or eating something that irritates the gastrointestinal tract, inflammatory bowel disease or a severe case of parasites, an obstruction or twisting of the bowel leading to intestinal wall damage, internal organ failure or cancer.

Can you check his temperature for me? A normal dog rectal temperature is 100F to 102.5F. A fever is >103.5F.

Can you also check his mucous membrane (gum) color? They should be bubblegum pink and if you press on them they should blanche then return to pink in less than 2 seconds. They should also be moist not sticky. If they are sticky that means he is dehydrated.

If his color is fine and he doesn't have a fever or a subnormal temperature (less than 99F) then he is more stable than a dog with a high fever or a low temperature, but I still would an examination if he starts actively vomiting or has a tense, painful abdomen.

If he has a fever, his mucous membranes aren't pink, and when you press on his abdomen it seems very tense or painful I would be more even concerned. These are signs of a blockage, pancreatitis (inflammation of his pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal) or possibly a viral infection (Parvo virus for example). These are emergency situations and he needs to be seen immediately.

If he cannot be examined tonight do not try to feed him any more. Fast him for at least 12 hours. This may stop gut spasms and help restore normal motility.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

Right now hydration is important because of the diarrhea and drooling so if he seems less nauseous after he acid reducer make sure he's drinking well. It's a good idea to offer pedialyte too in a few hours to replace electrolytes. If he won't drink on his own you will need to dribble it in with a syringe (2 to 3 teaspoons at a time). If this goes well (no vomiting) then in 12 hours you can try a bland diet. If he vomits even without food then he needs to see a veterinarian for diagnostics (bloodwork and radiographs and/or an ultrasound of his abdomen)

If he seems to feel better in the morning feed him a bland diet. To make a bland diet boil hamburger (or chicken) chunks, drain off all fat, and mix 50:50 with plain boiled white rice. Feed 2 tablespoons initially. If he handles that well then feed him 1/4 cup of the mixture a couple hours later. If he handles that fine then feed him 4 meals of this mixture daily until he is feeling himself (usually in 2 to 3 days) and the diarrhea is resolved. Once he is eating well for a few days with no diarrhea start mixing in his regular food and slowly (over 7 to 10 days) convert him back to his regular diet by adding more of his regular food and less of the bland diet each day. If he starts vomiting, runs a fever, has a painful abdomen or stops eating he needs a veterinary examination.

Either way I would suggest submitting a fresh stool sample to his veterinarian to check for gastrointestinal parasites.

Please reply back to this post with any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****