Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has very red rashy skin and she's scratching so much…

Customer Question
Hi! My dog has...

Hi! My dog has very red rashy skin and she's scratching so much that she's bleeding....she's lost most of the hair on her back legs and underside

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She's had a blood test and it didn't show anything, she recently got some skin taken for a histology but can't see the dermatologist until next Wednesday....but it looks horrible and it's getting worse every day

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that she's so uncomfortable.

What is her name?

Is she currently taking any medication?

Have you received the results of the histology test?

Hey name is ***** ***** she is taking prednisone and benedryl. The histology results have not come back yet
Her*

Ok. How much does she weigh?

What doses of Prednisone and Benadryl is she taking?

Are you using any topical therapies? (sprays, shampoos, ointment)

She weighs 46 pounds and taking 25mg of benedryl and 10 mg of prednisone...nothing topical!

How often is she receiving the 25mg Benadryl and 10mg Prednisone?

For a dog her size, I would recommend increasing the Benadryl dose to 50mg (2 x 25mg tablets) every 8 hours.

If she receiving the Prednisone at 10mg every 12hrs, that is the standard anti-inflammatory dose for her size and I would NOT recommend increasing that dose, unless directed by her dermatologist.

Another remedies I can recommend to reduce her inflammation and self trauma include bathing twice weekly with Douxo Calm Shampoo: https://www.chewy.com/douxo-calm-shampoo-dogs-cats-68-oz/dp/110752?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Douxo&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3dTQBRDnARIsAGKSfllcpxOGw5mqR9TZeTAdZIVTlcPSLLSJat8vMK3V0muB25yKz6Jpz3saAvOOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If she continues to scratch to the point of self trauma, she may benefit from wearing an e-collar to prevent licking/chewing of the area or a T-shirt to cover the affected from scratching.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago