Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Tobby will be 12yr in June 2018 he is Black Lab mixed never…

Customer Question
Tobby will be 12yr...

Tobby will be 12yr in June 2018 he is Black Lab mixed never very hyper he broke his left back leg at 6 months old, now he was having a hard time getting up and claiming steps, when he tried to clime them he would fall backward I had to help him up from the back side. 2 wks. ago he started losing his ability to clime up the hill that he has been going up and down sense he was a pup. he has not been eating much and lying around he will drink water. he doesn't want you to touch them much, he also will just lay and bark, a different tone then he use to, I know its close to his time to go but I love him so much he was my fathers dog and he passed in 2011. Thanks for just listing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Tobby

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Tobby's condition is declining. I can tell that he is very special to you and a legacy of your father.

Though it can be heartbreaking to consider, it sounds like Tobby's quality of life is declining and his time is drawing near.

If he is not wanting to be touched, and laying and barking, these can be signs of pain.

When having Quality of Life conversations with my clients, I often use this handout to help clients evaluate all the different aspects that compose adequate quality of life for their dear pets. I hope you find it helpful to evaluate Tobby's condition and helps you to decide when it is time to humanely say goodbye.

I'm so sorry.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!