Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog got an injured foot at the airport yesterday—- it was…

Customer Question
My dog got an...

My dog got an injured foot at the airport yesterday—- it was bleeding and has a small tear between the toes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He isn’t bleeding anymore... but has a limp. He may be in a little pain. Is there something i can Give him as he heals?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I want To take him in to a vet—- but can i guve Him something for pain in the meantime? We are not in our home town. We are visiting my family 2 states away
Oh— he weighs about 6-7 lbs
And he is not bleeding anymore.
He can walk on it... but not comfortably
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Is he licking the wound?

Is there something for pain i can Give him??

I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, unfortunately, there is nothing over the counter that you can give for pain for your dog; most of the pain medication over the counter are toxic to dogs, I am sorry. You will need to wait to see your vet for prescription pain medication. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, this is what you can do to care for the wound:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking the wound.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
I appreciated your comments about keeping it clean. but I went over to pet-co and they had dog- aspirin. I'm just wondering why you didn't mention this? maybe you didn't know about the awesome dog aspirin at pet-co. I was surprised and happy they had it. also---they had a wound care spray, and liquid bandage.
this is a very hard area for me to clean. its almost impossible because he squirms so much. so keeping it clean without pain meds was very very challenging. its his right back paw. and the tear is between his pads. I think it partially tore his pad too. but it seems to be on there. but there is a wound or something swollen near the pad, and where the fur is there.
he is still limping on it. maybe this is normal? but Ive been spraying it daily and when I see him licking it....I say no.
I got a cone/collar thingy----but it is extremely hard to snap on. I hate it. and he listens pretty good when I tell him no.
im not sure...it doesn't seem to be bleeding...but how long will this take to heal? should I get some skin glue and see if it can heal better? its just such a bummer that he limps everywhere....its quite tender.

Hello, again. I am very aware of the Aspirin that is available at pet-co. And, there are several reasons why I did not recommend Aspirin:

1- Aspirin interferes with coagulation so it can make the bleeding worst. If the wound becomes infected or your vet needs to debride the tissue they may have a hard time getting him to stop bleeding because he has been on Aspirin. So, he will need to wait 1 week to get the Asprin out of his system.

2- Your vet now cannot use any type of Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication that works better than Aspirin because it is contraindicated because he is on Aspirin. So, really, starting him on Aspirin was not a good idea.

I would not close this wound it is contaminated (licking) and will likely become infected. I would flush and treat as we discussed before.

The only reason i had to give him aspirin is because he was in pain and would not tolerate having his foot looked at—- it was very traumatizing. We are out of town... so i have To get by until we head home tomorrow night.
And his bleeding had stopped before i gave Him the aspirin. He is not bleeding... and it looks better..... so i do Not think it’s infected... but it’s tender.
He’s pretty alert... eating and drinking too.