Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12 yr old female lab/collie had a anal fistula saw vet for…

Customer Question
12 yr old female...

12 yr old female lab/collie had a anal fistula saw vet for treatment and was sent home on Clavamox. Tolerated the meds well for about a week and fistula is well healed. Started vomitting mostly bile in evening and early hours. Took her off the meds now for 4 days and vomitting persists. Poor appetite and also notice burping after she eats. Otherwise appears fine. A bit lethargic but happy to go for walks or play fetch and no fever. Worried about the vomitting and possible wt loss! Ive reduced her portions and am switching to boiled chicken/rice but what else can I do to help calm her stomach?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Otherwise healthy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your girl had an anal fistula, which was successfully treated with Clavamox, but is now vomiting even after being off the medication for 4 days.

Clavamox is a potentiated penicillin antibiotic that has excellent activity against common skin and urinary tract bacterial invaders, so it made sense to prescribe it for a dog that had a anal fistula. But it can have side effects.

Possible side effects include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and much less commonly, kidney damage (in dogs with a penicillin allergy). It is possible that your girl was having trouble tolerating this antibiotic, and now her gastrointestinal system is very uspet.

If she was vomiting she was not digesting and absorbing the antibiotic now anyway, so it made sense to discontinue it. If my recommendations don't help in a day or two I would and call her regular veterinarian for further guidance.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then with-hold food for a good 12-24 hours.

After her food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or lean, boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If you are seeing loose stools with blood or mucus in her stools adding 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to her meals is a good idea as fiber soothes an irritated colon. Feed small meals frequently.

Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can be added to the bland diet mix to help replace appropriate bacteria.

Her nausea may be related to the medication but in most cases it should have resolved by now if that were the case. Being an older pup there may be something else going on that has led to her nausea, so keep a close eye and call her veterinarian if she is not responding quickly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian