Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My German Shepherd cries when we touch her back left hip…

Customer Question
My German Shepherd cries...

My German Shepherd cries when we touch her back left hip area. If you barely touch the right spot, she cries out and for a split second it almost brings her to her knees. However, she is not limping, she will play Frisbee and chase the ball etc....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Lady Lexus and she is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?

No she is eating drinking and going to the bathroom all is normal. THe only other think Ive noticed lately is the whites of her eyes appear to be red and there is a little discharge

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Lady Lexus. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that she is not feeling well.

When did you first notice her painful response in the area of her left hip?

Is she licking/scratching at the area?

Are you able to see any changes to the fur or skin in that area?

Yesterday is when I first noticed it. No I do not see anything or feel anything. If I'm just living on her and accidentally touch that spot she yelps terribly for s moment and then seems fine.

Since she is running and playing well with no limping, it is less likely that this is a musculoskeltal issue, though it is still possible that she has a soft tissue injury but it willing to "play through it"

She may have an insect bite or very early moist dermatitis (hot spot) that is painful in the skin at the affected site.

I recommend inspecting her closely in the affected area.

If she continues to yelp and appear painful, I recommend having her evaluated by your veterinarian to determine the source of her discomfort.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Denise

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian