Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a bulldog ... and his eye is pretty red and his

I have a bulldog...

I have a bulldog ... and his eye is pretty red and his wrinkle under that eye is very red. I have prednisone acetate ophthalmic suspension ,neomycin ointment and drops and mupirocin ointment ...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name and age?

Tubby . he is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bulldog's name?

Tubby

11/22/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Tubby's eye.

It may not be safe to put steroids like pred acetate on the eye. It will help with redness and inflammation, but if there is a scratch on the surface of the eye it will make it worse. I would only apply an antibiotic to the eye; is your neomycin ointment and drops meant for use in eyes?

You can use the mupirocin on the wrinkle, but not on the eye.

i have drops and ointment and yes, both are ophthalmic
I don't think we need to talk on phone ...

I would use either one; drops are easier and ointment lasts longer. No steroids until the eye is checked for a scratch, if this does not get better.

I can't make calls for the website anyway; that offer does not come from me!

ok. thanks. and that about the mupirocin ointment ... you said I can use that on the wrinkle? or should i just use neosporin?

You could do either, but I like mupirocin. It is made for skin, not eyes.

You are welcome! Please let me know how he is doing!

mupirocin on the wrinkle / skin and neomycin and poly B drops in eyes. ?

Yes!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
ok. thanks!

You are welcome!

Thanks for the great rating!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?