Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a scab on her chin. I had a vet look at it a few…

Customer Question
She has a scab...

She has a scab on her chin. I had a vet look at it a few months ago and she wasn't concerned. it is larger now and is starting to peel. she leaves spots of blood on my husky when they play

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about this scab on your dog.

How old is she? How big is this scab?

Can you possibly post a picture of it here?

A normal scab should not last for months. If this won't heal, I would try to find the cause. There may be infection, there could be something like a splinter or other foreign body under the skin, or this could be some kind of non healing problem, such as an autoimmune skin disorder, skin cancer (how old is she? Cancer is unlikely if she is young), fungal infection, etc.

I might start putting a topical antibiotic like mupirocin (prescription) or Neosporin on it and see if that helps.

Let me know if you can post a picture or if you have any other questions. Please let me know if this is helpful!

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

I did not hear from you. How is she doing?

Was this helpful; can I answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website I am assisting you!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian