Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has now vomited twice, about 6 hours apart. No food…

Customer Question
My dog has now...

My dog has now vomited twice, about 6 hours apart. No food has come up—just yellow liquid the first couple of heaves, then yellow liquid mixed with pink.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of, but maybe? Had no trouble eating all his dinner last night (6:30 PM). 1st vomit at 1:00 AM — no sign of food — 2nd vomit 6:30 AM.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Zeke. 4 years, 9 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeke?

Not that I inow of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Just had him out for his morning walk—all good. And he has drunk water and eaten his breakfast as usual...
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian

Hi there!

Thanks for the question and update. Vomiting can be related to many different conditions and the usual cause of it in otherwise healthy young dogs is ingestion of something inappropriate. The good news is that Zeke seems okay otherwise - he has an appetite and seems himself otherwise. I would recommend closely monitoring over the next 24 hours and if you notice that he vomits more than once more, develops lethargy, loses his appetite, develops diarrhea that lasts more than 24 hours, I would get him over to see your vet for evaluation. If you don't see any more vomiting in the next day or so and he's otherwise doing well, I'd say you're out of the woods.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification for the information above.

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I’ll breathe a bit easier now!

Glad to hear that. Hopefully it's nothing serious and Zeke will have no more issues! Please be sure to rate my answer if you've found it helpful and take care!

Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian