Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4 year old female part german shepard part Chinese

Customer Question
My 4 year old...

My 4 year old female part german shepard part Chinese charpae 95 lb dog is suddenly urinating excessively and seemingly uncontrollably. have taken her to the vet twice in two convsecutive days first doctor said insulamonoma gave her Prednezone and some medication for nausea and the second doctor was able to get a urine sample and said she had a high alkaline (9) in urine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of but the second doctor said that the high alkaline indicated poison ~ I was sharing this with some others and one girl said her dog ate old, moldy bird seed thus poisoning herself I was feeding birds over the spring, squirrels got most of it, and the bag was sitting on the deck, and during a couple of walks this week she did eat something in two different spots during the walk and sometimes I feed her table scraps but nothing unusual

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Tawni ~ I cant really afford another vet bill I've already spent almost $600 in the last two days

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is not having regular bowel movements ~ bowels are not solid and very small amounts

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I have to question the competence of Tawni's vets. First of all, insulinoma is uncommon and mainly seen in middle-aged to older (mean 10 years) dogs although it has been recognized in dogs as young as 3 years of age. Unless a blood glucose revealed a very low reading, insulinoma isn't present and shouldn't be considered as a cause of excessive and uncontrolled urination in any event. Can you upload a copy of all of Tawni's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Secondly, one test of the urine revealing it to be alkaline (high pH) tells us very little. It can be a normal finding in urine throughout the day or it can reflect a bacterial urinary tract infection...which is a common cause of excessive and uncontrolled urination. It doesn't specifically indicate poison. A complete urinalysis is essential in these dogs and so I hope that was performed and I can review it as well.

I need to clarify if Tawni is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine, or, instead, is polyuric - forming large amounts of urine. Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies; urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease/rare at 4 years of age, hyperthyroidism/rare at 4 years of age (all three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia); pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed); hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level most often due to lymphoma; less commonly due to primary hyperparathyroidism); electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances; and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus.

I'm sorry that you've experienced such expense for so little value. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
hi ~ thanks for your response. I got home Wednesday night after working about 15 hours and she was just laying on the floor ~ not at the door happy to see me. Not minutes later, she had a horrible seizure ~ talk about feeling powerless. I rushed her to the hospital, on the way she had another seizure, and another once they got her back into the exam room. Her blood sugar had gone from 45 on Monday to 37 then. We talked, she told me what Tawni would need and her chances of survival and so on. I will be picking up her ashes later this week.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Oh my goodness. My condolences for your loss of Tawni. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.