Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog tongue is bleeding due to cutting it on a can I got it…

Customer Question
Dog tongue is bleeding...

Dog tongue is bleeding due to cutting it on a can I got it to stop but has restarted agian.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He is 2years old about 55pds we have tried ice and ice water

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a minute while I reply...

Were you able to see the cut? If so, how big would you say it was? How deep?

Can not see the cut it looks to be along the side of the tongue. Maybe an inch long no idea what the depth is

Lacerations in tongues bleed like crazy. If we can get the bleeding to stop, they often heal very quickly however, because of this good blood flow to the wound area.

When I'm presented with these, more often than not we end up needing to sedate the dog in order to 1) get a good evaluation of the wound and 2) get it to stop bleeding, often with stitches.

Things you can try to get a wound to stop bleeding at home include compression - 5 minutes minimum without removing pressure - this would be very difficult in this location and is likely to make this worse if he doesn't like it and struggles, ice or ice water as you've tried, silver nitrate sticks or quik-stop powdered agents are available OTC and people often have them for clipping nails to stop bleeding if they cut too far - I'd be cautious of this as it may sting quite a bit.

In this situation, I think you are probably best off focusing on keeping him (and everyone around him) very calm and quiet, and offering ice water or even a popsicle to cause vasoconstriction of blood vessels in the area in hopes that the bleeding will stop.

If the wound is too large, he may need to be taken in to get sedated and have the wound addressed with some sutures. If the wound is superficial it is unlikely to be life-threatening but will make quite a mess in the process of trying to get it to heal. I'm biased as I see the worst ones, but I'd say most of these do better with stitches, even the small ones, as they continue to break open and bleed when the dog disrupts the clotting/healing process by licking / chewing etc.

So, I'd maybe try the ice for longer, in the form of a popsicle if you have one (check for no xylitol - an artifical sweetener that is toxic to dogs) and if you continue to have issues then you need to get him in for some stitches likely, unfortunately.

Your vet might also be able to try dripping epinephrine on the wound if they can get a look at it and it's small enough, to possibly avoid sedation / stitches, but that's only if he's cooperative enough and it doesn't help you out at home, but it's another idea to consider.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian