Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Are prickly pear pads toxic to dogs? I know they can be full

Customer Question
Are prickly pear pads toxic...
Are prickly pear pads toxic to dogs? I know they can be full of oxalic acid which causes diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes. The pad of a prickly pear type cactus.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: 48 lb 4-month old lab
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

No, the prickly pear cactus is not toxic to dogs. No studies have reported acute or chronic toxicity reactions due to consumption of the cactus fruit or its pads of any species. Excessive consumption, however, might cause constipation. Both fruit and pads are considered edible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian