Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My large dog ate dental floss. What should I do? Hunter -

Customer Question
My large dog ate...

My large dog ate dental floss. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Hunter - 91/2

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Can you please tell me how much was ingested, how long ago, and how much Hunter weighs?

Hunter weighs 80 pounds. I don't know how much floss was in the container. He did it while I was away for 6 hours. I just arrived home a few minutes ago.

Thank you for the additional information. Since it has likely been more than an hour we cannot induce vomiting. First check under his tongue and ensure there is no floss wrapped around it

Next there are a few precautions we can take

- Feed 4 pieces of bread now

- Take a nice walk to help move the floss through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion of at least 15+ minutes

- In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through

- Monitor for signs of the floss coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract
- Meals until it passes are white rice and lean boiled meat such is bland yet bulking at the same time

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own but please get him to a veterinarian at the first sign of lethargy, reduced appetite, vomiting, straining to defecate without production

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Hunter to see if there were any side effects of the dental floss ingestion? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman