Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

All of a sudden my dog is squinting his eye..his pupil is…

Customer Question
All of a sudden my...
All of a sudden my dog is squinting his eye..his pupil is much smaller than the other as well,..his eye is watery and reddened as well..no discharge other than tearing..do you know what's wrong with him?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Ok

It sounds like your dog is showing symptoms of Horner's syndrome. To differentiate the causes your veterinarian needs to do an examination and determine if treatment is necessary. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Causes include:

1. Central lesion: The nerve has been interrupted somewhere before the nerve exits the spinal cord. Brain or spinal cord tumors, blood clots and trauma can cause this damage. These animals usually exhibit other neurologic signs (head tilt, stumbling, incoordination).

2. Pre-ganglionic lesion: The nerve has been interrupted between the spinal cord and the synapse. Tumors in the chest/neck, or trauma to the neck (such as a strong jerk on the collar or leash) can produce this damage.

3. Post-ganglionic lesion: The nerve has been interrupted between the synapse and the eye itself. Middle ear disease or vigorous ear cleaning can damage the nerve. The majority (42-55%) of post-ganglionic Horner’s lesions are idiopathic (unknown cause).

So a veterinary exam will help guide whether this is requiring treatment or if monitoring is going to be the best course of action

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another hour this evening

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your dog to see if the eyes have normalized or you were able to get him to your vet? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian