Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is refusing food no matter what she is offered. Her…

Customer Question
Our dog is refusing...

Our dog is refusing food no matter what she is offered

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** is a year and a half. She is in the process of weaning her litter so I do not know if that has anything to do with her not wanting to eat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ireland?

She is a year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ireland?

As just mentioned she is in the process of weaning a litter so I am not sure if it is related

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

How old are her puppies?

Any persistent panting, pacing or odd behavior?

No changes to diet (till we started offering her different things last night and then today) No new treats or bones, no human food, no toys or anything weird eaten, only stressful thing I would say is the weaning that is happening right now, puppies are 51/2 weeks old right now. No diarrhea, she did throw up yesterday morning after getting a big drink, it was the fluids coming back up. Other than that no vomiting. No pacing or panting just laying around VERY listless/lethargic. (like she is losing all of her energy since she hasn't eaten anything since Sunday morning I believe.

It's always advisable to have a nursing mother examined and treated if she stops eating. There are so many conditions which can lead to her feeling unwell from intestinal parasites (which the puppies might have) to uterine problems to nursing problems (such as mastitis). Diagnostics will be quite useful in determining why she is feeling unwell.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc. If you need to use these directions, please try to separate the puppies from their mother and keep them in an area where they are kept warm without her and fed regularly. You can bottle feed them esbilac, if they have not effectively weaned, or you can feed them 4-6 meals daily of canned puppy food mixed with esbilac if they are all successfully eating soft foods.

The first step for mom is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

The problem is that she won't eat ANYTHING :( I made scrambled eggs this morning, nothing, offered cheese, peanut butter, more kibble, nothing is enticing her. Gave her some canned food in a bowl last night, since she never gets canned food, figured she would like the smell of it, was a Caesar one so pretty yummy looking, didn't touch it. I figured she would snap out of whatever it was at first but she is really starting to worry me since she just has a look about her like she is losing all of her energy.

This is precisely why a veterinary visit is recommended: for diagnostics to determine why.

The directions as mentioned above are meant to help restore the appetite with the famotidine. If you use nothing to address her refusal to eat, no, she's unlikely to eat. The famotidine should help. If it does not, you're back to needing to have a vet visit performed to determine why. Your vet will likely want to run diagnostics like bloodwork and x-rays.

Checking in. How is Ireland feeling today?