Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Two year old Springer Spaniel MAY have swallowed one of the…

Customer Question
Two year old Springer...

Two year old Springer Spaniel MAY have swallowed one of the tiny wooden characters from the board game CLUE . Didn't believe it at first but after little boy and Grandmother left and I was putting the game away , the blue piece , ( Mrs. Peacock ) was not to be found anywhere . While searching , fed dog high quality treats and canned food . This was about an hour ago . Dawggie about medium build , not two heavy .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the springer spaniel will be able to digest that. What is the springer spaniel's name and age?

She will be two on Saturday , her name is ***** ***** she doesn't belong to me . Am quite wretched ; I told the owner

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Munch?

She is two years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Munch?

No, she seemed entirely fine ; I am detailing the house looking for that stupid little piece

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Munch.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

While there's a risk that this board game character might cause an obstruction, it's a very, very small risk given the size of Munch and the size of the piece of wood....so my emphasis is on "might". More than likely, it will pass in 12-24 hours although it may take a little longer if it remains in the stomach (which sometimes happens).

Another option would be to induce vomiting since it's only been a hour since this happened if you want to be pro-active.

3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle) can be given at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight, mixed with bread or yogurt (or something similar). Walk her around and repeat the dose ONE time in 15 minutes if she hasn't vomited.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

Signs to monitor for signs of an obstruction will be vomiting, disinterest in food, lethargy and/or abdominal pain.

In all honesty, if Munch were my dog, I would wait for the piece to pass; I wouldn't induce vomiting. But, at least you have that option.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian