Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Snorkie and his fur on his underbelly, legs and…

Customer Question
I have a Snorkie...

I have a Snorkie and his fur on his underbelly, legs and feet are turning red. We have noticed more itching

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Stewie 2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

He was taking the pill but he has been off of that for a while because he really only goes outside for the bathroom and walks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No typically he's very healthy

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, a few minutes while I type my response....

I would suggest a few things:

Get him back on his flea control medication. This doesn't sound like a classic distribution for a flea allergy, but it's good to control for that possibility.

You can give him benadryl to help relieve the itchy skin. It comes in 25mg tablets. You can give a dog a dose of 1-2 mg per lb. So for example a 25mg dog can get 25 to 50mg of benadryl by mouth. This dose can be given twice daily and may cause some mild sedation.

Give him a bathe with an oatmeal based shampoo (most OTC dog shampoos). Lather very well and let it soak for 5-10 minutes before very thoroughly rinsing his fur/skin off. Be sure to get his affected underside as well.

You can soak his paws in an epsom salt solution to provide relief if they are swollen at all. Otherwise, just soaking them while bathing may provide relief.

Cortizone cream/ointment is safe to apply to those particularly itchy areas and won't do harm if he licks it off.

All of these things can be done in the mean time, but ultimately seeking assessment by your local veterinarian is a good idea. I'd anticipate discussing a diet trial to rule out a food allergy and possibly starting a prescription medication for allergies in the mean time. Other recommendations might be made instead or in addition, depending on the veterinarians assessment of the physical examination and after talking with you further. Hopefully the things I've suggested can provide relief until you can get Stewie in to be seen.

I hope my thoughts are helpful to you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian