Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He came to me shaking and coughing like he had something in…

Customer Question
He came to me...

He came to me shaking and coughing like he had something in his throat and asked to go outside. When he got outside he was running around frantically eating leaves. Now he is whining, pacing and trying to get back outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

HisHis name is ***** ***** he is 5 years old. A boxer mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Major?

He has a heart murmur and is taking a beta blpcker

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you witnessed any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

Already been to our vet. Appears to be GI disturbance. Prescribed metro, pectin and probiotics to restore order.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian