Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog has eaten some plush toys and the cotton inside and…

Customer Question
Our dog has eaten...

Our dog has eaten some plush toys and the cotton inside and now he is reluctant to eat. He has been whining for the past few days and today he is just laying on the ground whining. He also appears to be sweating from his stomach area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Louie and he is 9 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louie?

Large breed, bull Mastiff cross.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

The problem when a dog eats fabric and stuffing from a toy is that the fabric and stuffing can very easily get stuck in the gastrointestinal tract and cause a blockage resulting in the pup not able to eat and then starting to vomit. Sometimes they can pass it on their own, but sometime they require surgery to relieve the blockage.

The hard part about these cases is that it is really important to get them to a veterinarian as soon as symptoms or as soon as the ingestion occurs so they can get fluids because these dogs start to dehydrate which makes their ability to pass it on their own less likely.

Do you have a regular veterinarian who can see him today? If we can get some X-rays taken of his abdomen now we an figure out if the fabric is moving on its own and he just may need to be on IV fluids for a bit to get it to pass on its own or if it is stuck and he needs surgery.

I would get Louie seen as soon as possible because the chances of him being able to pass it on his own decease the longer it sits without keeping him hydrated.

We are also heading into a Holiday so it would be better to get him seen today and start therapies to try and get him to pass it on his own so we can avoid possible emergency surgery on Thanksgiving day which will be quite expensive.

I really do not want you to have to end up paying emergency clinic prices if we can avoid it.

Does this make sense?

Good luck with Louie let me know how he does.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet

How is Louie doing ?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney