Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a corgi who is constantly biting around the tail

Customer Question
I have a corgi...

I have a corgi who is constantly biting around the tail area. He also sits on carpet and turns in circles he loves being petted but now most times he wants his tail around his butt scratched.could you tell me what causes that.I might mention he is quite a bit overweight

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Name is ***** ***** approximately 5 or six yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hank?

He does seem to have a raw place between his toes.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am sorry that Hank is in some discomfort. The first question I always ask is what are you doing for regular flea control? Even if you do not see fleas on Hank, are you using a topical, pill, or regular bathing?

Thank you.

I put the flea conto heart guard in tube on him once a month

OK. Great. Then this is probably not a flea problem.

The two other common possibilities are some mild to moderate back pain, or one ( or both ) anal glands are impacted. This can definitely cause some discomfort, & given that he is a bit chubby, very likely.

Allergies from another source can not be discounted, but if he is not licking or chewing elsewhere, ten this is unlikely.

Is it possible to have him examined by your veterinarian in case it is his anal glands bothering him?