Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My traumatized rescue dog 1 year old will not eat when I say…

Customer Question
My traumatized rescue dog...

My traumatized rescue dog 1 year old will not eat when I say let's eat, his ears go back and runs upstairs. my vet says he needs prozac

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Jett

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jett?

No, he came from a neglected for sure, abused don 't know, he is a small terrier mix about 10 lbs. scared of everything but is okay with me very loving but acts like food is a monster, vet wants to put him on Prozac I don't know if that is the answer? he does like cheese, but that is not enough. she knows says give chicken, rice @ said Prozac will help. tried acted like a zombie. is med the answer. please help, I don,t want him to starve to death. Thank You very much.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Jett is scared when food is around and hides. II am sorry to hear about this problem. It sounds like Jett is only showing signs of anxiety when food is around, but I would wonder if he is also showing signs of anxiety at other times (i.e. separation anxiety, barking when people come to the door, etc.). Prozac is the only FDA approved medication for dogs with chronic anxiety. It is the medication of choice, but it is not the only thing that needs to be done to help Jett deal better with his anxiety. The other important part to treatment is behavior modification such as "counter conditioning" and "dissociation." I would recommend to have a detailed conversation with your veterinarian about what needs to be done in order to identify early signs of anxiety in Jett, how to avoid triggers, and how to redirect to positive-associated commands that get rewarded and praised. It is a slow process, but usually the results are favorable with anxiety.

You may also want to consider adjuncts to medication such as dog appeasing pheromone (DAP) - an over-the-counter spray or plug-in - lavender oil diffuser, etc. These can help in conjunction with the Prozac and behavior modification.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!