Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a maltese puppy 16 weeks who is acting fine but has…

Customer Question
I have a maltese...

I have a maltese puppy 16 weeks who is acting fine but has diareeha for 4 days and now has blood in his stool. He is eating and drinking and is very active. I'm on vacation and don't know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Wesley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wesley?

He did just get his shots for the flight and the vet gave him a second dose of de=wormer. ever since hes had this condition. I also think he swallowed a glass bead I found him chewing on.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If he has received all his puppy vaccines, chances are it isn't parvo. If he hasn't received all sets, there is a slight chance it could e a mild form. If he was recently dewormed, intestinal worms would be less likely, but it depends on what the dewormer was. Not all dewormers get all worms. Plus, they can get protozoal parasites, like Giardia and Coccidia. If there was any change in diet, or if he ingested something else besides his diet, it could be due to that. It could also be due to stress. You can try adding a little bit of Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to his diet for increased fiber. That may help if it is just diet or stress related. I would consider just getting him to a vet where you are to at least check a fecal exam. I would probably prescribe some metronidazole to get this under control faster as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Wesley is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian