Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She just ate a glass ornament. Kya she's a 2 yr old

Customer Question
She just ate a glass...
She just ate a glass ornament
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kya she's a 2 yr old Rottweiler. And it was a mini glass ornament
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kya?
Customer: She healthy and hasn't had this problem before. This is the first year she ever touch the Christmas decorations
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since she ate the glass ornament?

2- Did she chew it or swallowed it whole?

3- Any sharp edges?

4- How big was the ornament?

5- How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It just happened less than 10 mins ago. She chewede it and I did see her pick up a sharp edge and swallow it when I chased after her. It was a mini ornament about the size of a grape and she's about 100#

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, as you may already know the concern is that the glass can puncture her gastrointestinal tract or become obstructed. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the glass can damage the esophagus on the way out. However, she is a big dog so it is likely she will be able to pass it in the stool. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Feed her immediately some bread. Then, change the diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the bread and rice bind the glass to help move in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check her feces; if you do not find the glass within 48 hours I would have her checked by your veterinarian.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe her and change her diet as above then wean her back into her regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian