Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why does my dog crave grass?

Customer Question
Why does my 10 years...

Why does my 10 years old dog, Lulu crave grass?

She was sick over the week end (Loose bowels)>Yesterday she was back to normal and eating. Stool this AM was normal. Will not eat her he food. Wants to go outside to eat grass.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi.

Thank you for your question about Lulu.

Why do dogs eat grass? This can happen for a couple good reasons. One of the most common reasons for a dog to suddenly be eating grass is that they have some stomach upset and their body is telling them to eat it to try and help with that upset. A lot of dogs prior to being nauseated/ while nauseated will eat grass. The grass doesn't cause them to be sick, it just is there if they vomit. Another very common reason for why they eat grass is that they like the taste/ texture of it. My own dog loves on our walks to find the longer blades of wild grass along the roads and chew on them. She doesn't like other grasses, just these. I would monitor her for how she does today. If she starts to vomit again, a trip to the vet would be a good idea. If she continues to drink water and be pretty normal as far as mentation, you could give her 12 - 24 hours to see if her appetite comes back.