Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old female Labrador has bleeding from her eyes…

Customer Question
My 13 year old...

My 13 year old female Labrador has bleeding from her eyes mixed with a tiny bug. Could this be fleas? We just found out that one of the kittens - orphans - that came into our home. We have 6 cats and the lab. How do we get rid of the fleas and what could be wrong with my lab's eyes?

Veterinarian's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

I am 80 years old and my vision needs checked. I have an appointment - but what does this have to do with the bleeding from my Labrador's eyes and the tiny bugs?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have lots of things wrong with me - but what does this have to do with my dog's eyes bleeding?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello This is Dr Hill. Please give me a few minutes to type my full response. Thank you

The bleeding from the eyes and the tiny bugs may be separate issues. However, fleas feed on an animals blood and they excrement is basically dried blood. When the flea excrement is mixed with any fluid it looks like blood. If your dog has a flea infestation, then the dried blood may be mixing with his tear film and looking like blood. There is also the possibility that there is tear staining (which is a rust color) and it is not blood.

The best way to treat fleas in a multi pet household is to put a Seresto collar on each of the animals. This is an eight month collar. It takes three months of treating everyone in the household to completely clear up a flea infestation. You can purchase Seresto collars at your local veterinary hospital or online. The price of the collar is typically much cheaper online. I would check Chewy.com or Amazon. Please ask any follow up questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian